rooting Nepenthes and Cephalotus

From: Andrew Marshall (andrewm@eskimo.com)
Date: Wed Feb 19 1997 - 10:39:05 PST

Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 10:39:05 -0800 (PST)
From: Andrew Marshall <andrewm@eskimo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: rooting Nepenthes and Cephalotus

Hello Steve, and any one else interested,
        My $0.02. I have experimented with using vermiculite as a rooting
media and find that while Nepenthes rooted in it, they as quickly rotted
in it. The stuff gets sodden to fast, or dries out to much, then crumbles
into sludge on rehydrating. As a component of N. soil mix, I also advise
against it for the same reason. If Nepenthes soils, (and Heliamphora
also) are supposed to be airy and light, then vermiculite will only create
the opposite conditions. I have repotted ALL of the vermiculite based
plants I have EXCEPT Pinguicula.
        The best way I know for mass producing Cephalotus is to carefully
remove leaves from the stalk and after letting them heal for a few
minutes, planting them right side up, ends barely covered in the parent
soil. Kept humid they will sproat, I usually get about 65% success after
about 4 weeks.
        Hope this helps
        Andrew