Re: nepenthes identification

From: Russell Elliott (relliott@geocities.com)
Date: Fri Feb 14 1997 - 20:07:41 PST

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 20:07:41 -0800
From: Russell Elliott <relliott@geocities.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: nepenthes identification

Alan D Reeves wrote:

> Postage paid by: [Image]

> I was wondering if any one could help me. I bought a plant, not a very
> good one, and it kinda died. But a plant grew about a month later. I,
> naturally, believed it to be the plant I wanted. However, I have the
> suspicion that the plant could be a grass seedling (insert your laughter
> here :-) The only hope I have is it looks as if it is flowering. And
> the flowers look purple. Can anyone tell me what a small seedling of a
> no. madagascar looks like? My plant is about 2 in. tall. Please
> Help!!!!!!!
>
> Alan in Mobile, AL USA
> AlanReeves@juno.com

Alan,

 Sorry, this doesn't sound like a Nepenthes seedling. When they first
germinate you can seed two cotyedons. The next leaf produced usually
has a pitcher on the end of it, and is instantly recognizable as a
Nepenthes seedling. I don't know if every Nepenthes seedling does
this, but I have germinated N.ampullaria, N.rafflesiana, N.alata
and N.mirabilis, and they have all exhibited this feature.

It sounds like you have a grass seedling.

Bye for now,

Russell

--
! Russell Elliott, Seed Bank Director,                          !