Re: Re:Nepenthes naming

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Thu Feb 13 1997 - 15:55:12 PST

Date:          Thu, 13 Feb 1997 15:55:12
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: Re:Nepenthes naming

Dear Dave,

> My N. * splendiana is sending up a flower spike.

(BTW: a type specimen does not need to include a flower but it is in
most cases desirable if they are present, anyway)

> I'm wondering
> if I ought to make it into a herbarium specimum so the name can be
> validated.

For a cultivar registration, it is not necessary to conserve a
herbarium specimen.

> How is this to be done?

If you want to prepare a specimen, anyway, take a newspaper. Divide
it into two stacks of paper of approximately equal size. Layer the
plant material on the first stack and put the second stack on
top of the plant layer. Put a heavy, plane object (large books are
fine) on top of the aforementioned assembly. Replace the newspaper
(by dry newspaper) a day later. Repeat the replacement procedure as
long as the plant material is not completely dry (brittle). Fix the
plant material (preferably with strips of paper glued on the
cardboard only, i.e. not on the plant material) on a single surface of
a sheet of cardboard (A3 format or 297cm * 420cm). Write a lable
with:
Scientific name of the plant
Collector and collection number
Date of collection
Locality of collection
"det." and signature of the person who identified the plant
(Optionally) additional notes like flower colour etc.

Paste the lable on the sheet of cardboard (on the surface with the
plant material!). Store the specimen in an envelope which protects it
from dust and moisture.

> Also, is there anyone who would
> be interested in writing up the protologue for publishment in the
> CPN? I think it was mentioned that for horticultural hybrids, the
> protologue can be written in English or some other widely used
> lanuage...

I think it was the intention of Bruce Bednar that the (however,
unsuitable because Latin) name "N. * splendiana" should be applied
to a cultivar. Thus, the plant should be described as something
like _Nepenthes anamensis * N. maxima_ cv. Splend . Cultivars do not
need to be described in a protologue (no Latin, no type, no
taxonomic relevance). The description may be in English or any other
widely used language, it should describe in the first line the
distinguishing features of the selected plant. The plant must be
alive in at least one (better several) collection. A picture (ideally
a colour photograph) should accompany the description. The whole
stuff must be published in a suitable journal or book (e.g. in CPN,
as this is the international cultivar registration authority for
cps).

Kind regards
Jan