Re: pollinating D. dielsiana?

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Wed Feb 12 1997 - 20:11:34 PST

Date:          Wed, 12 Feb 1997 20:11:34
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: pollinating D. dielsiana?

Dear Paul,

> Just a quick question. I have a D. dielsiana which is flowering and I was
> wondering anyone knew if this particular species was self-pollinating or
> not. If not, can they be "selfed". Thanks in advance.

The plants I have studied (in some detail because especially this
species is a problem systematically - a possible transition between
sects. _Oosperma_ and _Drosera_) were self fertile and autogamous
(self- pollinating). However, I suppose the species can be hybridized
readily (with at least _D. burkeana_ and _D. natalensis_, some of
the plants I have seen were rather certainly of hybridogenic origin).
So make sure to protect the inflorescence from cross-pollination (if
other _Drosera_ species are in flower nearby) in order to obtain the
same species in the offspring.

Kind regards
Jan