Re: Carnivorous Fungi

From: Demetrio Lamzaki (Dee_Lamzaki@msn.com)
Date: Tue Feb 11 1997 - 18:14:12 PST

Date: Wed, 12 Feb 97 02:14:12 UT
From: "Demetrio Lamzaki" <Dee_Lamzaki@msn.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Carnivorous Fungi

KC>Just a couple of further references if anyone is still interested
KC>in this rather =B3off-beat=B2 subject:

Is it any more "off-beat" than the subject of carnivorous plants? :-)

KC>He also has a few drawings. Interestingly, he mentions that the
KC>fungi is commonly found on =B3fecal matter.=B2 If this is true,
KC>I am not sure I would want to grow this stuff! ..

Actually, Arthrobotrys conoides can easily be grown on cornmeal agar,
although it's a lot more rewarding if you feed them nematodes such as
Rhabditis, why bother growing a carnivorous fungus if you're going to
treat it like a vegetarian?

KC>Just my .02 on the odd subject ...
KC>Ken Cusson, Secretary/Treasurer I.C.P.S.

Be careful Ken, there are many people in the general botanical community
who consider our interest in CP strange, you usually get a few raised
eyebrows from people you mention it to at orchid or rose shows, even
some of our own friends and relatives don't understand our interest which
in many cases is better described as an obsession, we're the last ones
who should call any subject odd. Just look how the media treats the
issue whenever they touch on CP or tour a nursery. CP growers are the
snake and tarantula owners of the plant world! :-)

Regards,

Demetrios