Re: CP seeds

From: Chris Teichreb (teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA)
Date: Tue Feb 11 1997 - 06:46:52 PST

Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 08:46:52 -0600 (CST)
From: Chris Teichreb <teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: CP seeds

Hi Emry,

> A friend of mine, who is a biology major, told me that storing CP seeds in
> the freezer vs. refrigerator may enable me to store them for a longer period
> (a couple of years at least). Is there any truth to this? Can anyone provide
> more information on storing CP seeds?
> Thanks.
> Emry Gurcan

        I don't think so. At least not for the majority of CP seeds,
maybe some of the temperate ones can withstand freezing, but for most
seeds, freezing will destroy cells within the seed. Refrigeration can
keep a lot of CP seed fresh for years. I received some seed over three
years old that still germinated with as much success as seed a month old!

Regards,

Chris Teichreb
Department of Biology
University of Regina