Re: unknown _Drosera_

From: Phil (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Feb 06 1997 - 12:10:19 PST

Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 20:10:19 GMT
From: Phil <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: unknown _Drosera_

In your message dated Monday 3, February 1997 you wrote :
> Dear cpers,
>
> Does anyone of you know the correct name of _Drosera spec._
> "Forrestania"? It is supposed to be an (obviously Australian) member
> of sect. Erythrorhiza, possibly related to _D. bulbosa_ (the leaves
> are allegedly elliptic without a petiole, glandular on the whole
> adaxial surface. If this plant has been observed in flower, could you
> describe the inflorescence (one or more flowers/scape, scape erect or
> prostrate in fruit, indumentum, shape of sepals and petals, form of
> the styles/stigmas), please.

I believe this was published as D. browniana. I'm not sure of the citation. I
have the plant in flower so I can at least answer some of your questions. The
plant produces multiple inflorescences - I counted at least six on one plant.
The petals are pink and are unusual for tuberous Drosera in that they remain
open for several days (closing each evening). My plant refuses to set seed (I
assume it requires another clone) so I have no details on the fruiting habits.

Sorry, I can't give you any more information on the plant.

--
Phil Wilson
(cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)