Lowerie seeds; Andreas, I agree

From: Christoph A. Belanger (105601.512@compuserve.com)
Date: Tue Feb 04 1997 - 16:31:22 PST

Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 19:31:22 -0500
From: "Christoph A. Belanger" <105601.512@compuserve.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Lowerie  seeds; Andreas, I agree

Just to add to this discussion:
__________________________________
> I can think of indication of collection
> date (or year at least) and anonymous indication of the
> supplier (#01, #12 etc). Realistic, unfortunately not
> foolproof and time- consuming. On the other hand,
> when I pay $3 for a few seeds, I believe it is
> reasonable to expect some effort to improve quality.

Really? I regard $3 as fairly cheap and I doubt that it's realistic to
ask for such a service when paying just $3.
______________________________________
I must agree with Andreas here. $3 Australian is not a bad price for seed
of D. cistiflora, D. pauciflora, D. salina or seed of countless other
species that are not available anywhere else. In this respect $3.00 is
actually quite cheap.

Andreas writes:
In the past I bought a number of seeds from him and never had the
impression I was receiving bad material ot too small quantities. The
germination was as expected - some of the tuberous Droseras
germinated nicely, others did not - but that's life. I never felt I
could blame HIM because I had some problems to germinate the most
difficult 'germinators' among CPs!
_____________________________
Again, I agree with Andreas here. But, it is true that not all seed is
fresh. I have over come this by requesting catalogs from him on a regular
basis (like every 4 months). In the case of Nepenthes, if the seed was on
both those lists than I would not order it because the seed is already
older than 4 months and will most likely not germinate. On the other hand,
some of the tuberous or African Drosera might be better off. But
really...I have been dealing with Allen for a better part of 9 years now
and have never been disappointed with his material, and I have learned that
with *patience* and *experience* and a lot of research most seed will
eventually germinate.

Christoph