TX cultivation

From: Danny Hammons (dannyh@onramp.net)
Date: Tue Feb 04 1997 - 15:04:06 PST

Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 17:04:06 -0600
From: Danny Hammons <dannyh@onramp.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: TX cultivation

Mike,

You shouldn't have any problem with the TX native species, as they all
grow in your immediate area naturally. (S. Alata, D. Brevifolia, D.
Capillaris.) The drosera species seem to go dormant down there when it
gets really hot. Go out right now and you'll find them everywhere.
(There were very abundant in the Big Thicket the last week of Dec 96.)

As far as other species, I've grown the following outdoors with great
success here in Ft. Worth:

        S. leucophylla
        S. flava
        S. minor
        S. psittacina
        S. purpurea

        Dionaea muscipula (VFTs)

        Drosera binata
        Drosera filiformis
        Drosera rotundifolia.

I think the trick is keep the humidity high enough (which shouldn't be a
problem for you) and keeping the plants wet during the hot summer.

By the way, I just noticed today that one of my Alatas has sprouted a
flower stalk! I guess the mid 80's temps over the weekend woke them up!

Happy growing,

Danny