Re: Drosera Binata - Extra Forks?

From: Russell Elliott (relliott@geocities.com)
Date: Fri Jan 31 1997 - 20:53:11 PST

Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 20:53:11 -0800
From: Russell Elliott <relliott@geocities.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Drosera Binata - Extra Forks?

espector@mlswc.uk.lucent.com wrote:

> Postage paid by: [Image]

> Hello.
>
> I recently bought a D. Binata, Giant-T form. There are several plants in the
> pot. Among the new growth, I see that one plant has a leaf with an extra branch,
> and one leaf with two extra branches (H-form?).
>
> Is this normal behaviour, or is this a plant with unstable genes? Or what?
>
> Regards
>
> Edwin Spector
> Bath, UK.

Edwin,

 Hi, there are three (I think!) main forms of Drosera binata.
The T form, which only forks once, giving you a two pointed
leaf, the "dichotoma" form which forks twice, or sometimes
more giving you about 4-6 points, and the "multifida" which
ends up with about 8 to 12 points. There is also another type
if multifida called extrema, where there can be anything from
20 to 10 points on a leaf.

 The plant that you describe called be a Drosera binata var
dichotoma which has self sown itself into the pot before
you bought it.

Hope this helps,

Russell Elliott

--
! Russell Elliott, Seed Bank Director,                          !