Re: water

From: burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu
Date: Thu Jan 30 1997 - 13:05:25 PST

Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 15:05:25 -0600 (CST)
From: burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: water

Christopher Walkden wrote:
> Hello, I have a few questions about water.
> It seems that most advice about growing CPs includes a section that says you
> need special water, so that you avoid the build up of "salts".
<snip>
> be moving into a city soon, I was wondering what these salts are, and how do
> you tell if your water has any?

One easy way to tell if your water has salts is to fill your bathtub with
the water and get in with an electrical appliance turned on. :) Sorry, I
couldn't resist. No, seriously do not attempt the above.

"Salts" is a generic term for the presence of metal cations and their
conjugate non-metal anions. Such an example would be plain table salt, or
NaCl which dissociates when dissolved in water. These salts are also
called electrolytes since their presence allows the conductivity of
electrons, hence why people get electrocuted in bath tubs when a blow
dryer accidentally falls in. Pure water, such as distilled water, contains
nothing else but H2O and therefore is a good insulator against electrical
shock. "Hard" water contains ions such as potassium, manganese, etc. which
inhibit the solvation of certain detergents, which then leads to the
familiar soap scum.

> Also, what symptoms do plants show when they
> suffer from such salts?

I am not sure but I believe the symptom is death.

Paul Burkhardt