Re: CP-beginner

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Thu Jan 30 1997 - 10:01:04 PST

Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 13:01:04 -0500 (EST)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: CP-beginner

Niels Asger Nielsen writes from Denmark:

> The water I use is tap-water with ferro-sulphur (or
> ferro-sulphate?) added, to lower the PH-value. Will the chemical
> eventually kill the plant? (my Gardenias love the water)

I grow some Nepenthes but have never experimented with
ferro-sulphated water. Other experiences with tap
water containing small amounts of salts indicate that
a salt-free water is best for Nepenthes. Over time
the salts may accumulate, especially if you water
frequently and very lightly.

> I would like to acquire CP's of an identified species (Nepenthes hybrid
> doesn't say much), but I haven't seen many CP's in Denmark. Would it be
> possible to order plants or seeds from the UK or the US, and have them
> shipped to Denmark undamaged? Any experiences?

You might try some of the growers in Germany. There's an impressive
reserve of Nepenthes stock there, much of it available as tissue
cultured "seedlings". But you might be able to obtain rooted
cuttings as well.

While I was in Taiwan I saw some Nepenthes for sale at a flower
market, and the purveyors said that the Nepenthes were imported
from Holland. I don't know the company in Holland that has
Nepenthes; you'd have to inquire. Certainly Holland and
Germany are closer to you and the U. S. and so obtaining
Nepenthes from those places should be easier.

> Which species should a beginner go for when he does not want an ugly
> (his wife thinks) and space-requiring terrarium in his small apartment?

It's only fair to obtain one orchid plant (in bloom) for your
wife, for every one of your plants. :-) That should keep
the atmosphere tolerable.

Regards,

Perry Malouf