Re: Terrarium-sized CP

From: L235@aol.com
Date: Wed Jan 29 1997 - 09:07:45 PST

Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 12:07:45 -0500 (EST)
From: L235@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Terrarium-sized CP

Brian Estes writes:

>I would like any suggestions as to which Sarracenia, Nepenthes, and
>Heliamphora species would be good choices for terrariums that have 10"
>growing space above the spagnum level. Most of the ones I have been
>looking at show heights much higher than this, but I am wondering if
>these max heights are outside limits and that most will grow considerably
>shorter.

You have a dual problem it seems: Tough to grow most Sarracenias (not to
mention Neps) in a terrarium, and 10" is probably too high for proper light
(depending on your lighting setup) for good growth on low-growing species.

My humble suggestion is as follows:

Raise the medium to a height (depth?) where you've got about 6" of space
between light and plant (you can always raise the lights (hopefully) if need
be.

Stick to S. psittacina, and S. purpurea (venosa will probably do better in a
terrarium, though purpurea tends to be smaller in habit. Venosa burkei, the
southernmost S. purpurea, gets too large, in my experience for terrarium
cultivation of the dimensions you seem to be suggesting.)

H. minor should be fine size-wise, and I'd stay away from ANY Nepenthes IMHO
(my admittedly limited experience with the brutes is that they rapidly muscle
their way out of small enclosures).

You would of course also do well with D. muscipula, and any of the
Pinguiculas.

Also keep in mind (I'm sure you are) the different requirements in terms of
water, humidity, media, etc... and dormancy, if any. (if you planted a
terrarium with the above Sarracenias, Heliamphs, and Mexican pings, you could
throw the whole thing into a 40-degree garage (or basement) for the winter
with no problem, assuming you have something like that available.

On this subject, Peter D'Amato's "Savage Garden" Column in the December, 1996
CPN would be an excellent resource (his potted terrarium concept gives you
the flexibility you'll need to keep the various species happy.)

Also, BTW, Cephalotus follicularis would be an excellent candidate for the
above set-up. (I have it on good authority that we tend to baby this one too
much ... some very successful growers treat it EXACTLY like their
Sarracenias, even to the point of growing outdoors with good results .....
but more on this later.)

Jay Lechtman (L235@aol.com)
"People who live in glass houses should grow CP."