Japanese CPS meeting

From: Fernando Rivadavia (ss69615@ecc-xs09.hongo.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp)
Date: Mon Jan 27 1997 - 19:52:15 PST

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 12:52:15 +0900 (JST)
From: Fernando Rivadavia <ss69615@ecc-xs09.hongo.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Japanese CPS meeting

To all,

        On Sunday I went to the new year's meeting of the Japanese CPS,
the second I've participated in since I moved to Japan. Unfortunately I
still don't understand 95% of what is said, but had a great time meeting
CPers and talking to a few I already knew. Once again there were fantastic
plants on display, the most striking of which were the Pings. Apparently
most of these were cultivated by Masato Hatori, considered by the locals
as a Ping. "genius". And I agree!! One species in flower particularly
caught my attention: P.reticulata. Beautiful flowers!!!!!
        Another species which caught my attention was a D.spatulata-like
possible new species. I don't remember the name of the collector, but he
told me he had collected the plants in November in Qld. (somewhere on the
coast, can't remember the name of the bay), Australia. These had short
scapes and large pink flowers (according to him). The most surprising
though was that the scapes were completely covered with short white hairs
all the way to the top. Afterwards, I remembered hearing about a
D.spatulata "hairy sepals" from Qld. which was on some CP list I saw
recently. Apparetly this already-complicated species becomes even more
complicated in Qld.!
        I arrived early for the meeting and left late, due to the numerous
CP herbaria and photos Shibata-san had brought back from her latest trip
to Venezuela and which I wanted to inspect closely. The Drosera were 5:
D.roraimae, D.felix, D.arenicola var.arenicola, D.intermedia, and
D.kaieteurensis (Hey Jan, I'm finally getting the hang of identifying
these complicated Venezuelan species!).
        Genlisea were all G.roraimensis, I think. Heliamphora were all
H.minor and maybe H.minor X heterodoxa. There were some weird variations
in pitcher length and inner hair distribution.
        Now the Utric collections were absolutely FAN-TAS-TIC!! To my
total surprise, she was able to find 2 of the smallest (and rarest) Utrics
there are: U.biovularioides and U.naviculata!! I've found the former in
Brazil, but not the latter, which according to Taylor is also only known
from 2 collections. Another interesting species she collected was
U.viscosa, which I also had never seen. Other species on my "have never
seen list" were U.sandwithii, U.longeciliata, U.myriocista, and a
possible new species similar to U.lloydii. Other species found by her (I
hope I remember these correctly) were U.breviscapa, U.foliosa (with
curiously swollen stems which looked like tubers), U.cucullata,
U.pubescens, U.amethystina (several forms), U.subulata/or pusilla,
U.adpressa, U.erectiflora, U.juncea (or was it U.cornuta?), U.quelchii
(pink and red fl.), U.campbelliana, U.hispida, U.nana, and 'boring old'
U.humboldtii.

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia
Tokyo, Japan

P.S. The D.uniflora arrived in more or less good conditions and several
had flower scapes!!! Mature seeds were extracted from a few and these have
been given to Isao-san to attempt his hand at TC with this species. So
hopefully this one will soon be established among TC CPers at least.