Re: Growing tips, asking for...

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Mon Jan 27 1997 - 17:46:00 PST

Date:    Mon, 27 Jan 97 20:46 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Growing tips, asking for...

> From: Laurent Ide <lide@DVDDD.COM>
>
> These are unusual species for me.
> Drosophyllum.

This one should be started in same pot you plan to leave it in since
they don't like transplants at all. I don't know anything about
double pots for them. I am simply using a 90 % sand mix which drains
very quickly, yet stays slightly damp underneath since I included
10% peat (the top inch is 100% sand). It is getting very bright
light (more than any other CP) and I water them (two in one pot)
every other day by flooding the surface of the sand with about 1/2
inch of water. Sometimes, if the soil dries too quickly, I'll
water again the next day. If I'm leaving for a couple days, I'll
just add extra water as there is a wad of Sphagnum moss at the
bottom of the pot to hold in the sand and hold extra moisture for
a couple of days. A long as this plant is getting very strong
light, warm temps and dry air on it's stem; it seems like it can
handle fairly moist (but loose and airy) soil, for a few days anyway.
*treat it more like a Cactus than a Sundew*

Good luck,
Dave Evans