Re: D. pauciflora

From: Glenn Rankin (rankin@saiph.hpl.hp.com)
Date: Mon Jan 27 1997 - 14:03:06 PST

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 14:03:06 PST
From: Glenn Rankin <rankin@saiph.hpl.hp.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D. pauciflora

I grow it in 3-5mm porous mudstone gravel with about 20% shredded
sphagnum in a 6 inch terra cotta pot. That is probably bigger than it
needs to be for the reach of the roots, but it helps buffer the
moisture and temperature. The medium stays moist, but drains freely
and allows lots of air to get to the roots. I stand the pot in 2-4 cm
of water.

When the weather got hot this last summer, the part of the plant
above the ground died and dried up. At this point I did some digging
to see if there might still be some fleshy roots. When I discovered
that there were, I arranged them with one end near the surface and the
other going deep into the medium.

Until the greenery sprouted, I think I stood the pot in 1 cm or so of
water. The top of the medium dries out when it is sunny, but the interior
stays moist.

I kept the plant outside this winter (I live in Menlo Park), bringing
it under cover at night when it looks like there's going to be frost.

Glenn Rankin
rankin@hpl.hp.com