Re: Photographing Plants

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Mon Jan 27 1997 - 04:42:42 PST

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 07:42:42 -0500 (EST)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Photographing Plants

Edward Guilding asked:

> I have a few questions regarding photographing plants in habitat
> (_Nepenthes_ etc).

> 1. What is the best film for doing such work, I have used Fuji SuperG Plus
> 200 in the past...I am looking at getting Kodak 400 Gold this time
> around to take better low light pictures and hopefully capture the
> colors correctly. Any input/experience?

I used Kodak 400 Gold for all photographs, when I went to Kinabalu Park.
A flash was still necessary when taking closeup shots under the
forest canopy, despite the fact that it was broad daylight. (I used
a zoom lens to really get some good shots of Nepenthes pitchers.)

Kodak 400 Gold rendered the colors true. However, if I get a chance
to do this sort of thing again, I would use _color slide_ film. This
is because: 1) you can show them to an audience that way, and 2) it's
easier to make prints from slides rather than the vice versa.

In fact, there is a special process for making impeccable posters from
slides; you can't use the process to make posters from negatives.

But, maybe for me it's better that way--I would have drained my
bank account in making so many posters :-)

Regards,

Perry Malouf