Re: Posting Seed

From: Russell Elliott (relliott@geocities.com)
Date: Mon Jan 27 1997 - 19:17:14 PST

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 19:17:14 -0800
From: Russell Elliott <relliott@geocities.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Posting Seed

Heather Frederick wrote:

> Postage paid by: [Image]

> >I read a few years ago that some one had microscopically examined orchid
> seed >that had been sent through the mail in the standard envelope fashion.
> They >reported apalling dammage from the rollers that the envelopes get
> forced >through. Most of the seed was crushed.
>
> I can testify to that. Last year I sent some Roridula seed to a friend
> through the mail and it arrived looking like crushed pepper. Now when I
> send seed, I use a piece of thick card that just fits in the envelope with
> holes cut for the seed packets and the packets are taped firmly in place.
> It works for me.
>
> Heather in Auckland, New ZealandAll,

 When we package seed to send from the ACPS seed bank we use
those "jiffy" pack mailers. I don't know what they may also
be called elsewhere, but they have a layer of bubble plastic
inside. I recall a few years ago it was suggested that we
switch from paper envelopes to these. From memory we received
a number of letters saying how much germination rates
increased.

Bye For Now,

Russell Elliott

--

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ! Russell Elliott ! ! Seed Bank Director, ! ! Australian Carnivorous Plant Society ! ! mailto:relliott@geocities.com ! ! mailto:elliott@nexus.edu.au ! *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*