Re: Pinguicula primuliflora

From: Oliver T Massey CFS (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 24 1997 - 08:29:33 PST

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 11:29:33 -0500 (EST)
From: Oliver T Massey CFS <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Pinguicula primuliflora

> Hi all,
> Last week I bought a Pinguicula primuliflora in a local greenhouse. I have
> grown this species a couple of times before, but after half a year they
> started to rot. What is the best growing medium, watering regime, light
> condition etc. ? At the moment the plant is placed in my room, and receives
> full sunlight for a quarter of the day. The pot is placed in a tray with 1
> cm of rainwater.
> Mark

I have good luck with this one. A lot of mine are indoors under lights,
typically about 6" to 10" away from double florescents. Medium is almost
always live sphagnum sitting in shallow water. I have also had success with
peat sand mixtures watered weekly or so, but the best and biggest plants are in
sphagnum. IMHO they are more water-lovers than any of the other US pings. I
have seen these in the wild almost continually submerged. FWIW I have one that
is perched on the edge of the watering hole in a tray planting. Everytime I
water, I drench it and it remains submerged for a day till the water begins to
evaporate. It's still going strong.

Tom in Fl.