Re: D.falconeri, Byblis

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Jan 23 1997 - 14:33:00 PST

Date:    Thu, 23 Jan 97 17:33 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D.falconeri, Byblis

Hi Hakan,

> I am a lucky owner of a _D.falconeri_ but I have no cultivation information
> on this plant. I have it in 12 hours artificial light in moist condition and
> it seems to survive but it do not grow at all (restperiod?). Appreciate any
> information on this one!

   It can be treated like most temperate Drosera, but it does like
a little extra heat. 1:1 peat sand and *bright* light will work.
Bring the hours of light up some. About 14 hours should be right
for this one in summer, 11 in winter. These plants (the whole group)
do not like cool temps at all and will probably respond well if
you keep the summer days above 80~F. (29~C.). I have a couple
D. sp. Beverly Springs (erect) plants growing at around 80~F. and
they look healthy.

> I tried to cross pollinate _D.prolifera_ with _D.adelae_ but no success.
> They just seem to flower for fun these two. I will try again. Do not give up
> hope for a Drosera with heart shaped leaves.

Keep trying! (I still hope D.pro. and D.schizandra will cross, if only
my D.schi. would flower.)

Dave Evans