Re: Venus Flytraps and Sundews

From: Phil Semanchuk (semanchuk~pj@glaxowellcome.com)
Date: Thu Jan 23 1997 - 12:46:01 PST

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 97 15:46:01 -0500
From: "Phil Semanchuk" <semanchuk~pj@glaxowellcome.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Venus Flytraps and Sundews

> I am 9 years old and have 1 venus flytrap. I want
> to know how to grow venus flytraps and sundews
> without them wilting. I have tried giving them
> almost every sort of insect, but they always seem to
> die! I also have trouble keeping the right
> temperature in the terrarium and I can not figure
> out how much water they need. Any suggestions?
> Derek

Derek,
Venus Flytraps (tricky scientific name: Dionaea muscipula) like pretty wet
soil. Most people grow them in a pot filled with a 1:1 mix of sand and peat
and that sits in a tray of water. The tray should always have about an inch
of water in it. The water is another matter. Flytraps and CPs in general
are very fussy about their water being very pure. Rainwater is good. You
can also buy distilled water in the supermarket buy that gets expensive
very quickly.

Depending on where you live, you might be able to grow your Flytrap
outside. You might find that easier than trying to regulate the heat in a
terrarium. It will also be easier for you to give your flytrap enough light
if it is outside. They like just about as much sun as they can get.

Most of what I said here will also apply to your sundew, although there are
different kinds of sundews and they don't all have the same preferences.

Here's some places to go for more information --
The CP FAQ is full of good information and has links to other CP-related
places on the Web. You can find it at:
http://www.indirect.com/www/bazza/cps/faq/faq.html

Your local public library should also have a book or two on CPs and I'll
bet the Univ. of Michigan library has lots.

You can also learn a lot just by reading this list.

Good luck Derek, I hope this helps. Let us know how this works out for you!

Phil