Re: VFT leaf cuttings ie. asexual reproduction

From: -Tom- (tkhayes@pennet.net)
Date: Wed Jan 22 1997 - 06:02:13 PST

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 14:02:13 GMT
From: -Tom- <tkhayes@pennet.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: VFT leaf cuttings ie. asexual reproduction

Mike,

>Has anybody had much experience succesfull or otherwise, with VFT leaf cutting
>propagation?

Sure have - I propagate all my mutant vft's that way since they most don't
come true from seed. Several methods work with equal results; a few of
which I will comment on. Break the back end off the bulb and break apart
the individual scales. Lay them in slight depressions in a 50/50 peat sand
mix. This leaves a portion of the scale exposed to light which helps speed
up plantlet development. Alternately, the leaves that haven't died back
below ground can also be used by removing them in the same manner and
inserting the base end into the media. I find it easier to unpot the plant
so I can see exactly what I am working with and it is easier to remove the
leaves completely. Keep the pots bagged or in trays with clear covers. I
frequently use 24 hr. fluorescent light which helps keep fungus at a minimum
and speeds up their growth. Hope this helps!

Take care & keep on growing,

-Tom- & Krissy