Re: Calling Madrid

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Tue Jan 21 1997 - 08:42:05 PST

Date:          Tue, 21 Jan 1997 08:42:05
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: Calling Madrid

Dear John,

> Anyway, if anyone who lives in the Madrid area (or who has a knowledge of
> this region ) could orient me towards any possible CP related activities
> which I could undertake during my visit, it would be very much
> appreciated.

I do not live there nor do I have any particular knowledge of the
region (I only know that our possible correspondents from there are
very lazy to answer). The endemic _Pinguicula_ species of Spain are
all approx. 100 km or more away (to the N, E, and S) from Madrid, so
if you are looking for these, Madrid is perhaps not the ideal starting
point. If you still want to try, Juerg Steiger will certainly be able
to provide you with locality data.

A point of greater importance to me which is directly connected with
Madrid (and cps of course) is the publication (not available from any
German library): Anales (de) Historia Natural, Madrid. In vol. 19,
published in the year 1890, Gomez has written some Cuban cp names for
the first (and so far also the last!) time, apparently without
description (nomina nuda). The names in question were on pages:
233 (_Drosera communis var.cubensis_) and 263-264 (_Utricularia
cornuta var.michauxii_, _U. foliosa var.oligosperma_,
_U. longeciliata var.rubrocalcarata_).

Until now, none of our esteemed Spanish (or other) colleagues was able
to look up this source and communicate any details (descriptive bits
of information on morphology, herbarium specimens, locality data,
etc.) which could be hidden among the above cited lines. This is a
pity especially because _D. communis_ and _U. longeciliata_ have
apparently never been collected from Cuba.

So if your time allows, could you please locate the library of the
University of Madrid, locate the above cited opus, and either xerox
the respective pages of interest and send them to:
Jan Schlauer, Am Hoelzlein 88, 97076 Wuerzburg, Germany
or note and communicate the respective data via email?

Thank you tons in advance, also in the name of the cp nomenclatural &
taxonomic community!

Kind regards
Jan