Lowrie's 1996/1997 catalog

From: Glenn Rankin (rankin@saiph.hpl.hp.com)
Date: Mon Jan 20 1997 - 18:06:39 PST

Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 18:06:39 PST
From: Glenn Rankin <rankin@saiph.hpl.hp.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Lowrie's 1996/1997 catalog

Hi everyone,

Allen Lowrie's current catalog is now available from the listserver by
sending the one line message >get cp cat.lowrie< to
>listserv@opus.hpl.hp.com<. The file is about 40kB.

If you've never seen it, it's worth a look. He has a very large
selection of (mostly Australian) CP seeds. For short periods during
the year he also offers Drosera tubers, pygmy Drosera gemmae and live
petiolaris complex plants from tropical Australia.

Be cautioned, however, that some of his seeds are difficult to
germinate. For instance, I have been trying to get D. gigantea from
him to germinate for more than two years. It's still too early to be
sure, but I may have gotten four to come up that I planted over a year
and a half ago. It doesn't appear to be all his fault, however. I have
tried tuberous drosera seeds from a number of sources (Lowrie, Doug
and Vivi Rowland, ICPS and ACPS) and still haven't found the secret
yet. This year I will try Tom Johnson's suggestion to let the little
suckers bake (dry) in the sun during the summer.

Unless they are too small, his tubers sprout and grow OK for the first
season, but some have problems getting into sync with the Northern
Hemisphere seasons and die for various reasons.

The consensus from previous discussions on the list is that if you can
find what you want from a source other than Lowrie, then get it there.
If not, realize that you are taking a gamble. (BTW, if you have trouble
with his seeds or tubers, he is willing to correspond with you about
it.)

Glenn Rankin
rankin@hpl.hp.com