Re: thanks

From: Fernando Rivadavia (ss69615@ecc-xs09.hongo.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp)
Date: Mon Jan 20 1997 - 02:53:40 PST

Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 19:53:40 +0900 (JST)
From: Fernando Rivadavia <ss69615@ecc-xs09.hongo.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: thanks

Barry,

>Fernando,
>
>I wanted to thank you for the fantastic
>articles you've been printing for CPN. I hope you keep them coming. Perhaps
>you and Isao-san would be interested in sketching out the ideas you are
>generating regarding utricularia germination?
>
>Cheers
>
>Barry

        I believe this article in the December CPN was the last of a
series I sent, maybe in '95(?). I was eagerly expecting it to come out
mostly because the longer they take to be published, the more outdated
they become and the more I hate them for lacking important info and
especially for sounding childish to my rapidly-progressing knowledge on
these native Brazilian plants (after all, before coming to Japan last
year I was going on CP trips almost every month!). Thus the reason for my
"desperate" querry about the latest CPN issue.
        I've been planning to write up several more, and have even
promised to send some to the British, German, and French societies too.
But unfortunately I have to admit I haven't found the time to sit down and
do so, even though I'm planning SHORT articles on the numerous species I
saw during my travels in Brazil. For example, I'm dying to write something
about the fantastic U.nelumbifolia, the gigantic G.uncinata, the complex
G.violacea, the albino U.longifolia, the beautiful D.chrysolepis, the
first natural Drosera hybrids in S.America, maybe the first true case of
an Utric hybrid, the Brazilian Drosera which actually go dormant as roots
during the dry season as the S.African species do, the unique G.aurea, the
odd U.cucullata, etc., etc., etc.
        It's a multitude of interesting plants which could clog up CP
newsletters for a few years (and risk getting threats to stop sending in
articles about those 'darned Brazilian CPs!!'). I just need to find
the time, and will, to sit down and read through my diaries, to extract
all the useful info on each one. I thought I would have more time once I
got settled down in Japan, but now I've been here almost one year and am
still running around all the time. Oh well, I guess I should really make
an effort to put this stuff down in an orderly fashion and spread it
around through these newsletters to those who don't have access to this
listserve, where I've been "publishing" all the info I have on these
plants. I'll take that as a 'New Year's Resolution' for 1997, OK?

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia
Tokyo, Japan

P.S. I'll be going to Brazil next month for vacation and am planning to
spend most of my time there going after CPs, including already-visited
locations and new ones too. More details about that soon.....