Re: too much 'Kosobe'!

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Fri Jan 17 1997 - 19:18:00 PST

Date:    Fri, 17 Jan 97 22:18 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: too much 'Kosobe'!

Hello Jan,

> > The label for my 'Kosobe'
> > should then read, "_N. * stewartii_ (Bednar '93)" until he, if ever,
> > has a name for it published?
>
> Apparently a new name is needed for this clone (because "Kosobe" is
> a later homonym) if it is to be regarded as a cultivar. As long as
> this is not available, your lable proposal seems sensible.

Oh, I didn't realize that it had come from Japan! Perhap's the name
was published over there?

> > And the label for the N.wrigl*ey*ana ought to read:
> > N. * stewartii cv. 'wrigleyana'
>
> Is "wrigleyana" treated like a cultivar in the horticultural trade?
> If so, the combination above would be correct (but with capital "W").
> I have not yet seen a lable like that in a collection, however.

Me either! But then, I have not seen a plant labled N. * stewartii...
I'm assuming the plant I have is from the later cross which was
then named N. * wrigleyana. So should I just lable it N. * stewartii
or N. * stewartii cv. 'Wrigleyana'? Like you said, these later
names could be used as cultivar names since they were published
before the rules were, uh, "clarified". So do I follow the rules
and use a name nobody's heard of or do I ignore them like most everyone
else (so it seems).

Dave Evans