Re: _D. meristocaulis_

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Fri Jan 17 1997 - 09:25:38 PST

Date:          Fri, 17 Jan 1997 09:25:38
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: _D. meristocaulis_

Dear Gary,

> In CP Digest 962, Fernando Rivadavia mentioned in passing "the strange
> D.meristocaulis" endemic to Mt. Neblina. I'm not familiar with this
> species,

The problem is, very few people do know this species, and
approximately nobody is really familiar with it because it is at
least difficult (for political, military, transportational, and
meteorological reasons) to reach the Neblina peak.

> can someone please describe this specie's "strange"-ness?

It has three undivided styles like e.g. the S Af _D. regia_ or
several of the Au members of Bryastrum ("pygmies"). Thus it appears
to be very old and one of the most primitive species in the genus
_Drosera_ (this is also suggested by its relict habitat which is home
to other living fossils). Moreover, the species has branched stems,
which has led Maguire & Wurdack to a comparison with _Drosophyllum_
(which was perhaps too far-fetched).

> Ummm, it wouldn't happen to have heart-shaped leaves, would it?

I think I must disappoint you in this respect.

Kind regards
Jan