heating a terrarium

From: Zachary Kaufman (zkaufman@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 16 1997 - 00:00:06 PST

Date: 16 Jan 1997 08:00:06 -0000
From: "Zachary Kaufman" <zkaufman@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: heating a terrarium

To heat my lowland Nepenthes terrarium, I use a 50 watt, 6"
submersible aquarium heater. The heater is in a one gallon
glass fish bowl inside my terrarium. I have 14.5 feet of 1/4 inch
aluminum tubing coilled up inside the bowl. I run an airline from
an aquarium air pump to the aluminum tubing. A second line connects
the opposite end of the tubing to an airstone inside the fish bowl.
This works pretty well. I have to be careful that the water line in the
fishbowl doesn't drop, exposing the heater. I lose a sizable amount
of water to evaporation. Typically, I can go two days without
adding water. When I do add, I change some of the water as well.
I use R.O. water which is not entirely devoid of minerals. Failure
to change some of the water would lead to mineral deposits on the
heater and everywhere else in the bowl.
I use a piece of plexiglass to ensure the coiled aluminum tubing
doesn't bang against the aquarium heater. The plexiglass, nor
anything else for that matter makes contact with the aquarium
heater. Contact with the heater could result in uneven heating
of the glass tubing incasing the heater leading to breakage.
--Zachary--