Re: Apologies again!!!

From: Eric Green (saharris@iafrica.com)
Date: Tue Jan 14 1997 - 02:36:54 PST

Date: Tue, 14 Jan 97 10:36:54 GMT
From: saharris@iafrica.com (Eric Green)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Apologies again!!!

Hi!,
> >Pinguicula pachuca, ayautla,> sp linz, Drosera sp 2 Cuba,
> >sp 8 Borneo etc. names which I doubt > have ever been
> >"published", many having been in use these past 20 > years
> >of me growing them.

> Do you want to say that this kind of "nomenclature" should be
> perpetuated just because it did not kill anyone in the past
> 20 years?
> I do certainly have other views regarding this issue.

Dr.Schlauer I realize only too well that you have other views
regarding this issue, but many of the above plants have been around
for many years, yet I have heard of no efforts to find the
originators of these names. I remember reading of Nepenthes hybrids
which originated during the early hybridizing days, parentage
having been lost through the years, but the plants are still loved
and cared for. I still believe if someone was offering pollen of a
(weird/beautiful/unusual) unknown Nepenthes, of which there are
many in cultivation, there would be many takers.

> (...) The above can be used in the CP Newsletter as a
> question and answer article if the Editor wishes, I have seen
> similiar articles in the Playboy.
>
> I doubt CPN can really be compared with the Playboy.

You are putting ideas into peoples minds, I believe it was obvious
that I was indicating that the Editor or Co-Editor would cringe
from an article with Q&A, as you have done.

> Anyway, the cited text is too long for the info conveyed (on
> _Nepenthes_). I do not mind to publish it in the form of a
> dialogue but it should be reduced to the relevant essentials.
> Would you like to do that?
Fair enough!!!, You can do it, but I do believe that seeing as You
originaly posted a list of over 60 names, it would be only fair to
me, if you were to have a list of at least half the names, and
their originators in the manner you propose. Otherwise it would
look like you were trying to get at me personally.

                ALL THE BEST Eric