re: Florida

From: L235@aol.com
Date: Mon Jan 13 1997 - 06:46:14 PST

Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 09:46:14 -0500 (EST)
From: L235@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Florida

> Hello all,
>
> I'm planing to spend two weeks of March in Florida together with some
> friends. They aren't CP enthusiasts but probably I can get some of them to
> visit interesting CP places together with me. Can anyone of you please
> give me some suggestions of what to visit. Which plants I can find there
> (Pitcher Plants, Sundews, Bladderworts, ...) and where? Special National
> Parks?
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Regards, Tobias:

Just to add to what Tom already said:

In terms of National Parks, I'd recommend Apalachicola Natl. Forest for CPs,
if you can manage to get up to the Talahassee area (about 4 hours north of
Orlando if you drive like I do). Within the confines of the forest are:

S. flava
S. purpurea venosa (pink-flowered form)
S. psittacina
D. filiformis tracyi
D. capillaris
P. lutea
P. caerulea
P. primuliflora
P. planifolia
P. ionantha (or close by)
a number of aquatic and terrestrial utrics

S. leucophylla and naturalized VFTs grow within a few minutes drive of the
national forest, and S. minor is supposed to grow close to the southeastern
border (I've never been able to confirm).

Just remember (obligatory disclaimer) that all plants are protected w/in the
boundaries of the forest, all sarracenia are protected in Florida (I believe)
and P. ionantha is a federally endangered species.

Jay Lechtman