Re: Red Spider mite

From: Carl Gustafson (carl.gustafson@cbis.ece.drexel.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 10 1997 - 04:24:56 PST

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 07:24:56 -0500
From: Carl Gustafson <carl.gustafson@cbis.ece.drexel.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Red Spider mite

> I was looking at my collection today, and to my horror,
>a good 50% of my VFTS were looking very sickly.

[snip]

> I was wondering if anyone knew of any biological or environmental
>control that is effective on them. I don't want to use Rogor,
>as that chemical badly set back my entire Sarracenia collection,
>and it is only now that they are just about recovered.

If you don't have *too* many, try putting the plants in plastic bags with
flea collars (the kind sold for dogs). That should knock out the mites (as
well as any fleas or ticks the plant may have). Leave them in the bag for a
week or two.

Of course, the usual caveat of try this on one or two first always applies.

(This also works with scale, aphids, and mealie bugs.)

Carl