Re: Red Spider mite?

From: John H. Phillips III (phillips@library.ucsf.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 08 1997 - 16:10:52 PST

Date: Thu, 09 Jan 1997 08:10:52 +0800
From: "John H. Phillips III" <phillips@library.ucsf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Red Spider mite?

At 01:49 AM 1/9/97 -0800, you wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone knew of any biological or environmental
>control that is effective on them. I don't want to use Rogor,
>as that chemical badly set back my entire Sarracenia collection,
>and it is only now that they are just about recovered.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Russell Elliott
>--
Russell,
    I plant mine with the soil about 1-1 1/2 inches from the top of the pot.
This provides a little more humidity and I can flood the plants when I water
them which in turn controls the spider mites. You can also spray them with
water, but if/when an infestation turns really bad, Safers insecticidal soap
works very well. I use the concentration recommended for vegetables, but a
more dilute solution will work just as well. Or add a drop of liquid
dishwashing soap to a quart of water and spray with this. Use sparingly,
and wash out the soil with pure water.
Good luck,
John H. Phillips III e-mail:phillips@library.ucsf.edu
Interlibrary Loan Rm 202