Re: Pink Peltatas

From: Rob (brisden@bigfoot.com)
Date: Wed Jan 08 1997 - 22:03:00 PST

Date: Thu, 09 Jan 1997 17:03:00 +1100
From: Rob <brisden@bigfoot.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Pink Peltatas

Nigel Hurneyman wrote:

>I get the impression from some of the contributors that pink is the
>normal flower colour for D peltata. This wasn't my understanding;
>I thought white was the norm. A tuberous Drosera fanatical friend
>of mine swears that as a quick spot, if it doesn't have white flowers
>it isn't ssp peltata, although some subscribers would not be happy
>at the number of names he recognises. Lowrie's Vol I records
>peltata as having white flowers - I suspect the pinkishness of the
>photo is a quality problem and Lowrie decided to include it anyway
>because it is a good piccy of the flower structure, despite the wonky
>colours.

I have never seen a pink flowered D peltata ssp peltata although some plants
show a pinkish hue on the unopened and spent flowers. They always open
white. I would be surprised if a pink flowered form doesn't exist though
because there is much diversity in the species.

Pink flowered D. peltata ssp auriculata do exist. Certainly the white
flowered forms are more common, but they seem to exhibit the pink hues on
unopened and spent flowers more frequently than ssp peltata.

>BTW, does anyone know where I might obtain material of the
>Himalayan form, D peltata var lunata?

Sorry, no idea. I wasn't aware that D. peltata existed outside of Australasia.

Regards to all,

Rob Brisler
Melbourne, Vic., Australia