Pronunciation

From: Nigel Hurneyman (NHurneyman@softwar1.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jan 08 1997 - 05:53:13 PST

Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 13:53:13 -0000
From: Nigel Hurneyman <NHurneyman@softwar1.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Pronunciation

A lot of us western Europeans prefer to soften the botanical names,
hence Cephalotus is pronounced Ssephalotus, and the ch in D
pulchella is pronounced as in chess. Some even pronounce Chianti
as she-anti! We thought it was great when the rules of the Eurovision
song contest were changed so that singers had to use the language of
the country they represented because it immediately put the Germans
and Scandinavians at a substantial disadvantage. The reason we don't
win is because we never enter decent songs!

NigelH