Re: Re: Re: _Nepenthes_ naming

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Wed Jan 08 1997 - 00:17:00 PST

Date:    Wed, 08 Jan 97 03:17 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: Re: _Nepenthes_ naming

Hello Jan,

> Ideally, yes. But the ICNCP allows for naming of *different* clones
> by the same cv. name if they share a common reliably distinguishing
> feature.

Ok, I understand the "distinguishing feature" is supposed to be
a physical feature of the plant, but would being the progeny
this unnatural cross also count? For this genus, rules being
applied to fruit trees might prove restrictive or not applicable.
Even the same plant looks different year to year, so "reliably
distingiushable" might be hard to get from even the same clone...

My N. * wrigliana cv. 'Forgotthenamecauseit'sdarnlate' does tend
to have more red in the pitchers than other clones of the same
hybrid, but even looking at the pitchers of it the other day, there
were quite a number of differences from one leaf to the next.
>From time to time, the only distingiushing feature is the name
on the label. The deeper color and perhaps wider peristome do
show up, but only after a 1/2 year or so in good condtions.

> > Is there any way to name the whole
> > batch of seed under one name?
>
> There are several ways. If the plant does not differ sufficiently from
> either parent (which is what I would assume in our case), I would
> simply call it _Nepenthes rafflesiana_.

I'm leaning that way myself. But then again, the parent plants already
have some horticultural distinction, and cultivars are a horticultural
entity. Hmm... I want to get the rules down, so when I end up in
Meryl's friend's place I'll get it right.

> > Considering that Meryl<'s friend> could end
> > up with hundreds of seedlings (and in the end, perhaps a couple
> > dozen plants and couple "cultivar worthy" plants) for just this
> > one cross, so many cultivars would be ridiculous.
>
> It depends. But I would doubt that it is possible to score twelve
> sufficiently different *and* "cultivar worthy" plants from a single
> cross (which is not even interspecific).

I was thinking that a fair number of seedlings would probably
expire, leaving a couple dozen (unique because of the parents)
plants and couple of possible cultivar worth or none.
Would naming most them under one cv. name and naming one or two
outstanding clones under other cv. names be allowed?

Dave Evans