Re: biogeographical studies

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Mon Jan 06 1997 - 12:47:06 PST

Date:          Mon, 6 Jan 1997 12:47:06
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: biogeographical studies

Dear Mervyn,

> I am writing this to enquire if anybody knows of or has any
> litterature regarding the biogeographical and evolutionary affinities
> of cp's specifically Drosera.

Biogeographical affinities of _Drosera_ have been discussed by Diels
in his monograph on the genus. The chorology of the European
representatives is treated in Meusel & al., Chorologie der
zentraleuropaeischen Flora. Palynology is mentioned by Krutzsch in a
series of papers (if you are interested in this mainly European
stuff, I could look up some refs.). A few scattered pollen records
from the S hemisphere are also hidden in the pertinent literature.

Evolutionary affinities have been rather disputed but I think that
recent (genetical, anatomical, palynological, phytochemical, etc.)
research has set at least an orientation mark inasmuch as _Drosera_
is in fact most closely related to _Aldrovanda_ and _Dionaea_, these
genera constituting Droseraceae s.str.. _Drosophyllum_ is also
related but falls closer to an exclusively tropical group constituted
by Dioncophyllaceae and Ancistrocladaceae. "Somehow" related (but not
as intimately so as in the preceding examples) are also Nepenthaceae,
Plumbaginaceae, Polygonaceae, and probably Frankeniaceae and
Tamaricaceae. Together these form a sister clade to Caryophyllidae s.
str.

For abstracts cf. Cameron & al., Am. J. Bot. 82:117 (1995), Albert &
Stevenson, Am. J. Bot. 83:135 (1996). I have submitted a ms. to CPN
but this was not published yet (or was it? does someone have the
December issue?). Full papers: Albert & al., Science 257:1491-1495
(1992), Williams & al., Am. J. Bot. 81:1027-1037 (1994).

Kind regards
Jan