Re: Recent miracle!

From: Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jan 03 1997 - 13:09:53 PST

Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 22:09:53 +0100
From: Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Recent miracle!

On 3 Jan 97 at 10:17, ROBERT POGSON wrote:

> Last summer I received some seed of D. capensis from Dean Cook through
> this list. I planted in July but saw nothing for months. I had put the
> terrarium aside in a window of my bath. I had even quit misting it as I
> had given up but it was covered and somewhat moist. Lo! two days ago I
> was bathing and happened to turn my head close to it. There were a couple
> of specks of green! Joy! They've grown enough I can see the tentacles now.

Well I don't know what took them so long, but part of the attraction
of growing Drosera from seed is that the first true leaf which
appears between the cotyledons comes complete the tentacles.
Similarly with Sarracenia - the first true leaf is a tiny pitcher
(which usually manages to trap some equally tiny insects!).

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)