Re:Nepenthes propagation

From: Rabbi Ishmael Habbakuk (100611.1627@CompuServe.COM)
Date: Fri Jan 03 1997 - 16:44:18 PST

Date: 03 Jan 97 19:44:18 EST
From: Rabbi Ishmael Habbakuk  <100611.1627@CompuServe.COM>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Nepenthes propagation

I haven't ever had success with a layering, but cuttings don't pose a problem,
although it is generally accepted that highland species are harder to root than
are lowlanders - a trick that I find actually helps with these is to split the
base of the cutting up its middle about 1cm and wedge this open with a bit of
non-biodegradable/decomposable material, such as plastic - then treat as normal.
        Slack's books are becoming harder to find - his "Insect eating Plants and
how to Grow them" certainly the finer of his two books, is almost impossible to
get - frustratingly, your last bet may be, if nowhere else, the amazingly well
stocked plethora of old book stores along Charing Cross Rd, London, where I
found mine and two other copies which I have since passed on to other growers
here - it took three years too!. Best of luck anyhow...

Regards,
        Alastair.