Re: Re: Tissue Culture versus Seedlings

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Jan 02 1997 - 15:42:00 PST

Date:    Thu, 02 Jan 97 18:42 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: Tissue Culture versus Seedlings

> From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@ACCESS.DIGEX.NET>
>
> > I was wondering if... you compare a Nepenthes species grown
> > from seed> (non-sterile conditions, seed is just sown on compost)
> > to a plant of the same species planted out of T.C., both
> > with the exact same dimensions, say a 3cm diameter and
> > 2cm tall, generally will the growth rates be similar or will
> > there be a marked contrast?
>
> I've noticed that small Nepenthes plants from tissue culture
> tend to grow quite a bit faster and more vigorously than
> plants from seed (non-sterile conditions).

Plants from out of tissue culture are basically on plant steroids. :)
I think there ought to be a way of producing this effect without
doing it TC. We already use giberrillins (sp?) to get seeds and
dormant buds to grow. Of course, this type of chemical will not
give the desired result. What will? Superthrive? Maybee, Super-
thrive + something?

Dave Evans