Re: Help for N. Madagascariensis

From: John Walker (jorwa@syspac.com)
Date: Thu Jan 02 1997 - 07:58:45 PST

Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 07:58:45 -0800
From: John Walker <jorwa@syspac.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Help for N. Madagascariensis

At 05:07 PM 12/28/96 -0800, Alan wrote:
>I have a N. Madagascariensis that is about 2" tall. It was growing well
>until recently. It has three leaves including the one not quite open at
>the top. The lower (4th) leaf shriveled up and fell off and the lowest
>one now (3rd) is getting brown on the tip. I have it in a 4" pot with a
>wick and peat moss. It is in a window sill that gets a little direct
>sunlight. Can anyone help?
Hi Alan,

I grow a small N. madagascariensis in a terrarium under lights. As it seems
to be a slow growing plant I don't know if I have all the growing
requirements just right, but it colors up and pitchures very well. I do the
following:

5" pot, soil consisting of bark, sand, peat, charcole, and long fibered
sphagnum, 2:1:1:1:1
Pot is kept out of the water, with no wick, and is watered once a week or so.
Light is provided by four 40 watt flourescent bulbs
Humidity is kept at about 70%
Temps are 70F-90F

Some possible things to try:
You might want to check your roots to make sure they are not rotting. I
don't know how wet your wick is keeping the soil.
Don't let the direct sunlight burn the plant (I don't know that this is
occuring, just be carefull)
Increase the humidity (this helped my plant to start pitchuring)

Hope this helps,
John in Phoenix