Re: sphagnum, sphagnum, alive, alive-O!

From: Phil Semanchuk (semanchuk~pj@glaxowellcome.com)
Date: Thu Jan 02 1997 - 11:47:01 PST

Date: Thu, 02 Jan 97 14:47:01 -0500
From: "Phil Semanchuk" <semanchuk~pj@glaxowellcome.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: sphagnum, sphagnum, alive, alive-O!

> I know this is slightly tangential, but what
> are people's experience growing/keeping live
> sphagnum moss? My readings and intuition indicate
> that wetter is better, but mine has always died
> under such conditions

This summer I filled a small plastic tray (about 8" x 4"/20cm x 10cm) with
water and a handful of peat for acidity and grew some sphagnum in it. The
peat was not thick enough to raise the green bits of sphagnum above the
water level, so the plants were underwater most of the time. They were only
exposed to air when the weather got really dry which didn't happen too
often. (We had 60 inches of rain in 1996, four inches short of the most
ever recorded). The moss grew fine, that is to say at the end of the summer
I had more than I started with. I didn't grow any sphagnum on peat like you
did so I can't compare the success of the two growing mediums. Not a very
precise experiment, I know! But that's my 2 cents FWIW.

Happy New Year to all
Phil