Re: Carnivorous Orchids

Carlo A. Balistrieri (cabalist@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Tue, 31 Dec 1996 12:56:27 -0600

At 09:17 PM 12/28/96 -0800, you wrote:

> The common Yellow Lady's Slipper (Cypripedium calceolus?) may not
>be carnivorous but I'm sure it mugs insects. The smell is of something
>rotten and the flower seems designed to trap large flies.

Cyprepedium are not carnivorous. Although many orchids have evolved
contrivancies to make insects run a gamut of obstacles to insure
pollination, the pouches on these flowers have not evolved for carnivory.
The plants are associated with mychorrizal fungus that aid in the
assimilation of nutrients. The fungae do not provide nitrogen themselves.

Carlo

Carlo A. Balistrieri, J.D. Email: CABalist@facstaff.wisc.edu
P.O. Box 327
Ashippun, WI 53003-0327
U.S.A.
Voice: 414.569.1902 Telefax: same number, please call ahead.