Re: Re: Re: Keeping Cp over the winter

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Mon, 23 Dec 96 17:27 EST

> From: Frank Udovicic <F.Udovicic@PICAN.PI.CSIRO.AU>
>
> >Yes, Phil those plants can handle some very cold weather. Staghorn
> >sundew is D.binata. That one can NOT take anything more than a
> >very light frost and even that will knock all it's leaves off.
> >This one should be treated more like a tropical even though it
> >truely is temperate, it just doesn't grow were freezing temps occur.
>
> Hi all, my experiences with Drosera binata have been different to this.
> First of all it is naturally widespread along the south east coast of
> Australia (as far north as Cairns which is tropical) and occurs in New
> Zealand too. I have seen it in the wild in South Australia, Victoria and
> New South Wales. It occurs in a wide variety of habitats and many of these
> receive quite heavy frosts.

This Doesn't disagree with what I said. Freezing temps that freeze
the ground not the grass (frost) will kill them. If not, then I
suppose you have been growing a different subspecies than I, even
though no subsp. are currently reconized. I haven't seen mine
form anything resembling a winter bud, though I saw D.hamiltoni
do this this year! The D.binata were growing w/ it in the same pot
so I'd think if it was going to so, it would have. I'm growing
both "dichotoma" and "extrema", what ever those are. If the
differences are so great why is there only one species? Or subspecies?
Even D. filiformis is consider to be at subsp. rank from D.fili.
tracii (though not in writing), why not D.binata?

> It is interesting that the different forms of D. binata seem
> to have different lengths of dormancy, i.e. "dichotoma" and
> "extrema" (forms with leaves divided many times rather than
> just once) form resting buds early and have a long dormancy,
> while the "normal" variety has a much shorter dormancy, and
> during one mild winter in Melbourne produced a few leaves
> during the winter, whilst the other two forms still had a
> definite dormancy. So in summary, D. binata will grow well
> outside where you can grow VFT and Sarras, but like those
> plants, it will have a dormancy period.

I've tried D.binata (several forms) and D.capensis several times
for the last couple years in my bogs where all Sarracenia, VFT,
some hardy Pings, hardy Drosera and even some D.capilaris (from
roots? it never flowers...) survive (only VFT has some trouble,
if kept too wet) but those plants do not make through winter. ever.
Perhaps it would do well in South Carolina? Or even NC?

Dave Evans
New Jersey