Re: Studies of Nepenthes soils

Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Sat, 21 Dec 1996 13:06:17 -0500 (EST)

Hooray, a response to my inquiry finally apppears on
the listserver! Christoph wrote:

> I have a N. macfalanei that for the last two
> years has not grown beyond its 1/2 inch diamater... All the
> other plants in its vicinity grow relatively
> fast - even the N. edwardsiana that is right next to it.
> It grows at about a rate of 1 leaf every two monthes ...

> It sounds like you are wondering if you have some sort of nutrient
> deficiency that is affecting your plant.

I conjecture that _something_ is lacking. Is it a nutrient? A
trace mineral? Biological activity from symbiotic organisms?
A chemical that helps the plant absorb nutrients already present?

Interesting to hear about your N. macfarlanei as compared to the
others you mentioned. I've witnessed the converse.

Anyway, from the lack of responses I glean that a detailed and
methodical study has not yet been done and published. If such a
study has been carried out privately, then no one is letting on.

Regards,

Perry Malouf