Re: Darlingtonia Dormancy

Frank Udovicic (F.Udovicic@pican.pi.csiro.au)
Mon, 16 Dec 1996 08:32:31 +1000

On 11 Dec 96 at 5:02, Carlstrom_Rick@amelnx.advmar. wrote:
> I have moved all of my pitcher plants to the garage for some winter
> dormancy. I know how to handle the Sarracenia's. Does anyone know
> how to handle Darlingtonia for Dormancy. Should it always sit
> immersed in Water like during the growth period? Should I let the
> tray get dry but leave the soil moist?

G'Day,
In Canberra, Australia, my _Darlingtonia_ had a very good dormancy period
this past year and I had it outside in full sun, lowest overnight
temperature was -7 Celsius (19 F). I kept the tray about 1/2 or 2/3 full
of water, compared to Summer when it is overflowing. I've put further
details on how I grow my cobra lily on my web page...
http://rubens.its.unimelb.edu.au/~franku/cobra.html

Good luck with this great plant,
Frank.