Re: re: genetic diversity

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Sat, 14 Dec 96 16:03 EST

> From: Wayne Forrester <forrestr@MENDEL.BERKELEY.EDU>
>

> It may be helpful to point out that I don't think all this
> discussion about preserving diversity really affects our cultivation
> of CP per se. I only want to point out that although we may be
> preserving species by keeping them growing, if we are only left with
> representatives of a species in cultivation, then we have lost a great
> deal even though the species survives.

I agree a 110%.

> Preserving that site untouched, I would favor preserving the
> site. I don't have a problem with limited collection of a
> couple of plants or a few seeds. After all, if nobody ever collected
> any of these plants or seeds, we wouldn't have one of our favorite
> hobbies, and would not be having these discussions.

Once again, I agree 100%. Now, how do we deal the problem of
someone wanting to build on such a site? Or a lot of people?
The population keeps growing, and growing. We *need* more
and more space just to live ourselves. I want to hear some
reasonable ways to deal with this problem, and it is a problem.
Some people say it isn't because as the population grows, we'll
have more geniuses to deal with such problems. ("Duh!" Is my responce
to that line of thinking. Or is it a lack of thinking?)

Dave Evans