Re: Latin CP name pronumciation for the CD Rom

Peter Cole (carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 13 Dec 1996 10:03:21 GMT

"Zachary B. Kaufman" <zbk49255@challenger.atc.fhda.edu> writes:
> Subject: Latin CP name pronounciation for CD ROM
> You know, I've always wanted to know the correct pronounciation
> for the Scientific CP names. Wouldn't it be cool if a person
> knowledgable in this area could record him or herself prounouncing
> the plant names. The audio files generated could be included on the
> CP CDRom.

You'll be glad to know that I'm working on it. I hope to have .wav
files linked to all the entries in the Etymological Dictionary of CP
Names and the Glossary of Botanical Terms (links via my homepage,) by
sometime early in the New Year - I hope it makes the deadline for the
CD-ROM.
There'll probably be 2 recordings for some names, according to
traditional English and revised academic pronunciations, but I think
I'll skip Church Latin... :-)
This is not intended to dictate a "correct" way of pronounciation,
as opposed to an "incorrect" way, but hopefully will reduce confusion
caused by some of the wildly varying pronunciations that seem to be
in current usage. What's important is that the word should be
identifiable when heard.
Anyone who wants to learn more about the use and history of Botanical
Latin could do no better than to consult STEARN _Botanical Latin_
ISBN 0 7153 0052 0 which is an excellent introduction to all aspects
of the subject.

Happy growing,

Peter

snail:Peter Cole,17 Wimmerfield Cres. :: mailto:carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk
Killay, SWANSEA SA27BU,WALES,UK :: http://www.angel.co.uk/flytrap/
vox:+44 1792 205214 :: Carnivorous plants and seeds for sale