Re: Greetings to all

John Walker (jorwa@syspac.com)
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 10:01:28 -0800

At 02:55 AM 12/10/96 -0800, Steve wrote:
>Greetings to everyone I have just joined the CP discussion group.
>
>When I bought a N. hybrid from a garden centre, it had fine pitchers (5cm
>deep on a plant approx. 15cm tall). It lived in the bathroom for a few
>months as I thought it would appreciate the humidity. It continued to
>grow but the new leaves grew no more pitchers. I had to move all the
>plants downstairs when we went on holiday and it ended up standing in the
>tray with the sundews. It stayed there, standing in water...not ideal as
>I thought the roots would rot. It is in a pond-type lattice plant pot
>filled with an open mixture of peat, sand and live sphagnum moss. It now
>grows new traps and looks very healthy.
>
>This may be an example of hybrid vigor allowing the plant to tolerate
>conditions that are not ideal. However unless it appears to suffer I will
>probably follow John Walkers advice and let it be as it appears to be
>thriving.
>
>Best wishes,
>Steve
Hi Steve,

Thats the beauty of this list; we can share real world experiences and
expand on the current set of ideas. I don't grow my Nepenthes with the pots
sitting in the water because I've always been told that the roots would rot.
It seems you have yet to run into this problem. When My new cuttings take
perhaps I will experiment for myself :-)

Regards,
John in Phoenix