Re: VFT-2 seasons per year?

Thomas K. Hayes (tkhayes@pennet.net)
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 00:40:54 GMT

John,

you wrote:

>Could you elaborate on this two cycle system? How many Summer months to how
>many Winter months? During the Winter months do you lower the Temps to 50F?
>During my Winter months I place the plants in the fridge. Do you think that
>your system is compatable with my style of Wintering the VFT's? It might be
>fun to try experimenting with a few plants.

To keep it really simple - two months of dormancy at 12 hours of light for
every four months of 18 hr. light. This is approximate and is also
contingent upon my remembering to change the timers! Some time the seasons
are a bit longer or shorter..... No matter what, the plants don't seem to
care. I am going to experiment and try this winter at 24 hr. light to keep
the temps higher inside the trays. Can't wait to see what happens with an
extra 4 hrs for their growth.

As far as lowering temps, The growing area gets down to about 45 F. - 55 F.
at night over the real "winter" and I move them into the cellar for the
"winter" in the summer where it stays about 60 F - 65 F. They seem to go
"dormant" regardless of the temp - the light being the controlling factor.

I also put vft's in the frige over winter (the typical ones that I don't
feel like wasting space on...) and they also do fine. Hope this helps.

Take care & keep on growing,

-Tom-