Re: CP mapping continued

Jeffrey Welch (WELCH@AM.HERL.EPA.GOV)
Mon, 09 Dec 1996 12:30:23 -0500 (EST)

I think Marj was referring to the United States and specifically to
North Carolina.

>Marj B. Wrote
>
>> A major cautionary word about the maps and locality data:
For any CP
>> site that's on private property, LANDOWNER PERMISSION is
needed for
>> the distribution of the information.

I don't think there is any legislation which prevents the distribution
of such information. It is up to the landowner to allow access or not
and for the visitor to respect such restrictions. I've often escorted
trespassers off family property for legal reasons and because they
didn't ask permission to enter posted land. If you think I'm a
terrible person I'll tell you why I do so privately.

>While Guido wrote:
>
>That may well be so. However, [and I speak here for Germany, I do not

>know the legislation in other countries off hand] if _protected_
>plants are on the property, the landowner cannot do with them what he

>wants. He cannot destroy them.

In North Carolina a landowner can destroy Dionaea and most Sarracenia
while logging, farming, etc. Also from practical experience I can
tell you that continual trespass can push a landowner to remove the
site being visited. Remember that Dionaea are not federally
protected.

Landowners in Eastern North Carolina have been forced to dread
sightings of the endangered Red Cockaded Woodpecker (bird) on their
property and loggers will fell trees if the birds appear to be
interested in nesting in them. This is due to fears of excessive
government interference with the use of their property. Fortunately
this problem has been recognized and there appears to have been good
progress made in keeping both the birds and landowners happy.

A CP mapping project was completed long ago for North and South
Carolina, with resolution at the county level. Its in the book
"Vascular Flora of the Carolinas". To me this is still the best
format as the resolution is high enough (within +/- 80 km) to allow
meaningful interpretation, yet low enough to prevent someone from
walking directly to the asphalt lot where the plants used to grow.
Herbaria information is found in the book, but not directly referenced
to each species, but if you want to call several hundred collection
you might get specific locality data. As the sheriff told me after a
break in: "If some one wants in bad enough, they can always get in.".

Take care,

Jeff